EBI3 is a subunit in two distinct heterodimeric cytokines: interleukin-27 (IL-27) and IL-35 (1-3). Like interleukin-23 (IL-23), IL-27 is a recently discovered member of the IL-6/IL-12 family of proinflammatory and immunoregulatory cytokines. It exists as a heterodimer composed of the p40-related protein EBI3 and an IL-12 p35-related protein termed p28. IL-27 is produced after activation by antigen-presenting cells and induces proliferation of naïve but not memory CD4+ T-cells. It acts by binding to its receptor WSX-1 (also known as TCCR) and gp130 which results in the activation of a Jak/STAT signaling cascade, suggesting the IL-27 is involved in the regulation of immune processes. It has been suggested that IL-27 can also be used as a therapeutic agent against cancer as it can also induce tumor-specific anti-tumor activity mediated through CD8+ T-cells, IFN-g, and T-bet. IL-35 is composed of EBI3 and the p35 subunit of IL-12 and has been reported to have therapeutic effects against collagen-induced arthritis by expanding the population of regulatory T cells and suppressing Th17 cells. At least two isoform of EBI3 are known to exist.
Additional Names : EBI3 (CT), Epstein-Barr virus induced 3 precursor, interleukin-27 subunit beta, IL-27B
Left: Western blot analysis of EBI3 in K562 lysate with EBI3 antibody at 1 µg/ml in (A) the absence and (B) the presence of blocking peptide.
Below:Immunohistochemistry of EBI3 in human spleen tissue with EBI3 antibody at 2.5 µg/ml.
Other Product Images
Source :EBI3 antibody was raised against a 16 amino acid peptide from near the carboxy terminus of human EBI3.
Purification : Affinity chromatography purified via peptide column
Clonality and Clone : This is a polyclonal antibody.
Host : EBI3 antibody was raised in rabbit.
Please use anti-rabbit secondary antibodies.
Application : EBI3 antibody can be used for the detection of EBI3 by Western blot at 1 – 2 µg/ml.
Tested Application(s) : E, WB, IHC
Buffer : Antibody is supplied in PBS containing 0.02% sodium azide.
Blocking Peptide :Cat.No. 4967P - EBI3 Peptide
Long-Term Storage : EBI3 antibody can be stored at 4ºC, stable for one year. As with all antibodies care should be taken to avoid repeated freeze thaw cycles. Antibodies should not be exposed to prolonged high temperatures.
Positive Control :
1. Cat. No. 1204 - K562 Cell Lysate
Species Reactivity : H, M
GI Number : 14577917
Accession Number : NP_005746
Short Description : (CT) Epstein-Barr virus induced 3 precursor
1. Pfanz S, Timans JC, Cheung J et al. IL-27, a heterodimeric cytokine composed of EBI3 and p28 protein, induces proliferation of naïve CD4(+) T cells. Immunity 2002; 16:779-90.
2. Devergne O, Birkenbach M, and Kieff E. Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 and the p35 subunit of interleukin form a novel heterodimeric hematopoietin. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 1997; 94:12041-6.
3. Niedbala W, Wei X, Cai B, et al. IL-35 is a novel cytokine with therapeutic effects against collagen-induced arthritis through the expression of regulatory T cells and suppression of Th17 cells. Eur. J. Immunol. 2007; 3021-29.
4. Pfanz S, Hibbert L, Mattson J, et al. WSX-1 and glycoprotein 130 constitute a signal-transducing receptor for IL-27. J. Immunol. 2004; 172:2225-31.