The interferon-inducible, double-stranded RNA (dsRNA)-dependent protein kinase PKR is a member of the eukaryotic initiation factor-2 alpha (eIF2-alpha) kinase family, possessing serine-threonine kinase activity and two dsRNA-binding motifs that acts as part of the innate immune system. Upon binding dsRNA, PKR undergoes a conformational change leading to its activation and its phosphorylation of the translation factor eIF2, resulting in a general shutdown of protein synthesis and induction of apoptosis through upregulation of caspase-8 and capsase-9 activity in order to prevent the production of more viruses. To evade the antiviral effects of PKR, viruses have evolved multiple mechanisms, such as the inhibition of PKR by the non-structural protein (NS1) of the influenza virus. More recently, PKR has been implicated in several neurodegenerative diseases including Alzheimer, Huntington, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
Additional Names : PKR (CT), Protein kinase RNA-activated, interferon-inducible RNA-dependent protein kinase
Left:Western blot analysis of PKR in A431 whole cell lysate with PKR antibody at (A) 0.5, (B) 1 and (C) 2 µg/ml.
Below:Immunohistochemistry of PKR in rat lung tissue with PKR antibody at 2.5 µg/ml.
Other Product Images
Source :PKR antibody was raised against a peptide corresponding to 14 amino acids near the carboxy terminus of human PKR.
Purification : Affinity chromatography purified via peptide column
Clonality and Clone : This is a polyclonal antibody.
Host : PKR antibody was raised in rabbit.
Please use anti-rabbit secondary antibodies.
Application : PKR antibody can be used for detection of PKR by Western blot at 0.5 – 1 µg/ml.
Tested Application(s) : E, WB, IHC
Buffer : Antibody is supplied in PBS containing 0.02% sodium azide.
Blocking Peptide :Cat.No. 3947P - PKR Peptide
Long-Term Storage : PKR antibody can be stored at 4ºC, stable for one year. As with all antibodies care should be taken to avoid repeated freeze thaw cycles. Antibodies should not be exposed to prolonged high temperatures.
Positive Control :
1. Cat. No. 1202 - A431 Cell Lysate
2. Cat. No. 1462 - Rat Lung Tissue Lysate
Species Reactivity : H, M, R
GI Number : 31747519
Accession Number : AAP57628
Short Description : (CT) a dsRNA-activate protein kinase
1. Meurs E, Chong K, Galabru J, et al. Molecular cloning and characterization of the human double-stranded RNA-activated protein kinase induced by interferon. Cell 1990; 62 :379-90.
2. Saelens X, Kalai M, and Vandenabeele P. Translation inhibition in apoptosis: Caspase-dependent PKR activation and eIF2-alpha phosphorylation. J. Biol. Chem. 2001; 276:41620-8.
3. Gil J and Esteban M. Induction of apoptosis by the dsRNA-dependent protein kinase (PKR): Mechanism of action. Apoptosis 2000; 5:107-14.
4. Gil J, Garcia MA, and Esteban M. Caspase 9 activation by the dsRNA-dependent protein kinase, PKR: Molecular mechanism and relevance. FEBS Lett. 2002; 19:3665-74.